ARE Review Series
The Young Architects Forum produces an ongoing series of monthly review sessions for the Architects Registration Exam (ARE). YAF holds one session per month, each focusing on one of the seven divisions of the exam. The format is a formal, lecture style presentation on content related to the exam, each hosted by a prominent member of the architectural community, followed by a question-and-answer session. While these sessions are geared toward exam candidates, participants are not required to currently be testing to participate in these sessions, the information presented is invaluable to anyone looking to expand their knowledge of the profession.
Looking for something a little less formal? Try a Study Group.
2013 – 2014 Calendar
You can purchase the whole package of sessions for $80.00. Individual sessions will be priced at $15.00 each. All dates are subject to change based on the availability of the presenter. Please note, ARE Review Session attendance will now be capped at 40 people. Registration is fist come first served. Online registration and payment is required. All sessions will take place at the offices of Rothschild Doyno Collaborative.
Click here to register for the whole package of sessions for $80.00.
- Sept 17, 2013: Introductory Session
- September 24, 2013: Construction Documents and Services
- October 15, 2013: Programming Planning and Practice
- November 19, 2013: Site Planning and Design
- January 21, 2014: Structural Systems | Register Here
- February 18, 2014: Building Systems, part one | Register Here
- March18, 2014: Building Systems, part two | Register Here
- April 15, 2014: Building Design and Construction Systems | Register Here
- May 20, 2014: Schematic Design | Register Here
Notes from past sessions available here.
ARE Study Group
Looking to join a Study Group for a specific division of the exam? The YAF can help put you in contact with current exam candidates in the Pittsburgh area. Contact us for more information. These groups are meant to be small (4-5 people), and are formed on an as-needed basis.
IDP Mentor Matching
Are you currently enrolled in IDP and looking for a mentor to help augment your internship experience? Are you a registered architect looking to give something back to the profession? Recent revisions to the IDP process have placed much more emphasis on the role of the Mentor in an intern’s development. An IDP Mentor can offer third-party advice, help to gauge progress, and provide opportunities to earn supplemental training units outside of the typical work setting. If you are currently enrolled in IDP and are looking to find a Mentor, or if you are an RA and willing to offer your time to serve as a Mentor, please contact us.
Links to online resources
The AIA office maintains a variety of study materials, including a current set of Kaplan study guides and flash cards, for the ARE 4.0. These materials are available for a two week check-out period for all AIA members at no charge. If you would like to check on the availability of a particular study guide or set of flash cards, contact us.
- NCARB recently announced that ARE 5.0 is under development, with an expected launch in late 2016. Based largely on feedback from the 2012 Practice Analysis, the exam format will be completely revamped, with 6 divisions, a more practice-based focus, and elimination of the grpahic vignettes. Read their official press release here. ARE 4.0 will continue to be the primary testing format. A transitional phase, similar to the shift from ARE 3.1 to 4.0, is expected.