ARE Review Series
The Young Architects Forum produces an ongoing series of monthly review sessions for the Architects Registration Exam (ARE). YAF holds one session per month, each focusing on one of the seven divisions of the exam. The format is a formal, lecture style presentation on content related to the exam, each hosted by a prominent member of the architectural community, followed by a question-and-answer session. While these sessions are geared toward exam candidates, participants are not required to currently be testing to participate in these sessions, the information presented is invaluable to anyone looking to expand their knowledge of the profession.
2014 – 2015 Calendar
The whole package of review sessions is available for $125, or you may register individually for $20 each. Options to fit your needs are available for purchase below. All dates are subject to change based on the availability of the presenter. Please note, ARE Review Session attendance will now be capped at 40 people. Registration is fist come first served. Online registration and payment is required. All sessions will take place at the offices of Rothschild Doyno Collaborative.
- Sept 23, 2014: Introductory Session | Free! RSVP
- October 14, 2014: Construction Documents and Services | Register here.
- November 11, 2014: Programming Planning and Practice | Register here.
- December 9, 2014: Site Planning and Design | Register here.
- January 20, 2015: Structural Systems | Register here.
- February 10, 2015: Building Systems, Part I | Register here.
- February 24, 2015: Building Systems, Part II | Register here.
- March 24, 2015: Building Design and Construction Systems | Register here.
- April 14, 2015: Schematic Design | Register here.
Notes from past sessions available soon.
ARE Study Group
Looking for something a little less formal? Join a Study Group. The YAF can help put you in contact with current exam candidates in the Pittsburgh area. Contact us for more information. These groups are meant to be small (4-5 people), and are formed on an as-needed basis.
IDP Mentor Matching
Are you currently enrolled in IDP and looking for a mentor to help augment your internship experience? Are you a registered architect looking to give something back to the profession? Recent revisions to the IDP process have placed much more emphasis on the role of the Mentor in an intern’s development. An IDP Mentor can offer third-party advice, help to gauge progress, and provide opportunities to earn supplemental training units outside of the typical work setting. If you are currently enrolled in IDP and are looking to find a Mentor, or if you are an RA and willing to offer your time to serve as a Mentor, please contact us.
- Intern Development Program (IDP) | NCARB
- ARE 4.0 Guidelines | Updated July 2014 | NCARB | ARE 4.0 will be available until June 30, 2018.
- ARE Forum
- ARE 5.0 | News & Updates | NCARB | ARE 5.0 will launch in 2016!
The AIA office maintains a variety of study materials, including a current set of Kaplan study guides and flash cards, for the ARE 4.0. These materials are available for a two week check-out period for all AIA members at no charge. If you would like to check on the availability of a particular study guide or set of flash cards, contact us.