Questions For Your Architect
Before You Get Started
- What does the architect see as important issues or considerations in your project? What are the project’s challenges?
- How will the architect approach your project and gather information about your needs, goals, etc?
- How will the architect establish priorities and make decisions?
- Who from the architecture firm will you deal with directly? Is he/she the same person who will design the project? If not, who will design your project?
- How interested is the architect in this project? How busy is the architect?
- What sets this architect apart from the rest?
- How does the architect establish fees? What would the architect expect the fee to be for this project?
- What are the steps in the design process? How does the architect organize the process? What does the architect expect you to provide?
- What is the architect’s design philosophy? Will the architect show you models, drawings, or sketches to explain the project?
- What is the architect’s track record with cost estimating? If the scope of the project changes, will there be additional fees? How will these fees be justified?
- What services does the architect provide during construction?
- How long does the architect expect it to take to complete your project?
- Does the architect have a list of past clients that his/her firm has worked with?